There is no need to explain the benefits of personal website or a porfolio site, still, I would note down some:
- Personal Branding
- Blog Space
- Makes you discoverable on internet
- One stop resume which works for you
- Helps you learn new skills while building
- Hugo Static Site Builder
- Plenty of themplates available at Hugo Themes
- Hosting at Github Pages
- Domain from Godaddy
- First learn the basics of Hugo and how it works by following Hugo Quickstart Guide
- Once somewhat comfortable with Markdown and Hugo, choose a template/theme for your site
- You can create your custom theme as well.
- After choosing a theme, customize your site based on your need.
- Verify your site locally at http://localhost:1313 (Assuming you did not change the config)
- At this point, your stack is setup to build your site locally.
- Finish multiple iterations of changes till you are satisfied with the website you want to build.
- Once site is built, it is time to host and deploy it somewhere.
- There are multiple options to host your static website. Eg: Github pages, BitBucket, Netlify, GitLab
- In my case, I used GitHub Pages and deployed site at - hpj1992.github.io
- I use this site as a pre-production/staging environment for my site.
- Not including detailed information because there plenty of resources available online. Hugo instructions on hosting and deployment.
- Once you figure out the hosting issues, it is time to purchase a domain for your website.
- If you do not want specifc domain - which is perfectly valid - you can start sharing links from your hosted environment.
- If you do decide to purchase a domain, there are multiple options in this case as well and the best option varies based on individual. Eg: GoDaddy, Bluehost etc
- Some well known domain providers are listed here.
- I selected a domain with name:
- Domain registration for 1 year with auto-renewel. Paid $10/year.
- Privacy protection for domain for 1 year. Paid $10/year.
- Did not opt for HTTPS certificate because I do not need it currently.
- Followed this youtube tutorial to link my GoDaddy domain to Github Pages.
2019-11-02 17:00 -0700